Received this error message in the Exchange Event Viewer:
Log Name: Application
Date: 7/12/2011 9:44:38 AM
Event ID: 1021
Task Category: SmtpReceive
Receive connector Default Email rejected an incoming connection from IP address 10.0.0.1. The maximum number of connections per source (20) for this connector has been reached by this source IP address.
<Provider Name=”MSExchangeTransport” />
<TimeCreated SystemTime=”2011-07-12T01:44:38.000Z” />
To make sure this problem won’t come back again, I raised the maximum number of connections per source. To do so, follow these steps.
- Open an Exchange Management Shell (Powershell with the Exchange snap-in)
- Type get-receiveconnector. This lists all connectors of your Exchange environment
- Type get-receiveconnector -id “unique receive connector name” | fl to get a overview of all the settings of that receive connector. To find out what receive connector you need to query, refer to the email you received from SCOM
- Look for MaxInboundConnectionPerSource in the overview. Here you’ll find the current setting.
- To adjust the MaxInboundConnectionPerSource, type set-receiveconnector -id “unique receive connector name” -MaxInboundConnectionPerSource 50
In this case, the MaxInboundConnectionPerSource will be set to 50.